Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Watercolor Background

When I saw this card over Second Childhood Creations, I was inspired to try some Twinkling H2O watercolor backgrounds. Here's the first one I created:
This is SO easy and the results are just stunning. It's hard to tell in the photo but it has an amazing shimmer that makes it really pop. All I did was dab the paintbrush loaded with the paint onto watercolor paper that has been spritzed with water. Dab and brush paint all over the paper and then spritz some more water and let it all run together and then let it dry. Once it's dry, stamp over it with black ink. This card is stamped with black pigment ink and then clear embossed.
The images on this card are from the set Measure of a Life by SU and the background is French Script. The card base is bristol vellum cardstock from a drawing pad that I bought at Michael's. I like the weight of it and the size (9x12) is great for making tall cards that fold on top.
Oh, and did you notice that grosgrain ribbon? Did you notice that it's a different color on each side? I saw this tutorial over at Splitcoast and decided to try it. It works so much better than I anticipated it would. I'm definitely going to do that again! By the way, I didn't seal mine as the tutorial instructs and I didn't think it needed it. The color is staying put just fine.

I hope you enjoyed this one because I made a few backgrounds while I was playing and I'm sure you'll be seeing those soon!

2 comments:

Kathy W said...

Tara, wow, this is beautiful. OK, you've just set my agenda today...I'm off to pull out my twinkling H2O's! Thanks for sharing your card and the links to the tutorial and how you did the ribbon. Very, very pretty!!

nise said...

Oh my!!! You and your brayer and your twinkling H2Os have been up to some gorgeous stuff! That 2 color ribbon is pretty neat, too. I think I may be off to dreamland in a rainbow of Tara cards...