Sunday, July 5, 2009

Good News, Bad News and a PSA

Good news!  My laptop is fixed and I'm back online.  Bad news... when my laptop bit the dust, I lost everything on my hard drive.   And worse news yet... I did not have a back up of anything on my laptop.  So here's the Public Service Announcement:  Please learn from my mistake and take the time to back up your hard drive.   From what understand, laptop hard drives are more at risk of having a problem because of heat issues.  (If you are a fellow MacBook user, please also see my note below).

I've had a house full of company this weekend celebrating not only Independence Day, but also the departure of my son to Army Basic Training.  He is headed to Fort Sill, Oklahoma to become a United States Army Soldier.  I'm so proud of him!

Now that the festivities are over and things are settling down, I have time to get my laptop updated with all the programs I lost.  I even lost all of my bookmarks.  I hope to have something artful to post for you all soon!

I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July weekend!

***Fellow MacBook Users:  Be aware of the symptoms of a failing hard drive.  I noticed that my 2 1/2 year old MacBook was running slower than normal and it was freezing up now and then.  Nothing major... just enough that I noticed it wasn't "right" and I mistakenly attributed it to software problems.   I had an Apple "Genius" take a look at it and he told me it was fine.  Then, when it froze up for the last time and the hard drive was gone, I found lots of forums where others had the same symptoms before their hard drives failed too.  If you are noticing any symptoms in your MacBook, be sure to back up your hard drive, just in case. 

No comments: