Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Stamp & Ink Spot Storage

Today I'd like to share a couple of organizational tips.  First, I'd like to show you how I keep track of and store my rubberstamps.  All of my stamps are indexed by catagory in a binder (as shown below).  Once a new set is in this binder, I give it a number.  As you can see in the photo, the set on right is number 214.
Now, the next step is to number that set on the case and file it according to number (as shown in the photo below).   This system makes it easy to find and use what you have.  When I start a project, I pull out the binder and choose the stamps I'd like to use and I always know exactly where to find them.
A couple of quick tips: 
**I number SU sets by the size of the case.  The smallest cases are 100, 101, etc. and the next size up is 200, 201, etc. and so on, up to the largest case size.  This way, I can store them by size and things look and stay neater.
**I also use this same book and system for non-su stamps.  Unmounted and clear stamps are stored in CD cases.  I index and number them in the binder and then number the outside of the CD case accordingly.  For single unmounted wood stamps, I index them and number them by tray (I use box frames like in the pictures below).

Now on to ink spots....
As you can see in the photo above, ink spots fit perfectly into an 8 1/2 by 11 acrylic box frame that you can take the box out of and use as a tray.  This size tray is perfect for the 4 color groups of SU ink spots.
Once the tray is organized, I store it in a paper sorter- using the sorter as shelving as pictured above.  Since it is a paper sorter and the trays (box frames) are 8 1/2 by 11, it fits and works perfectly.  I store all kinds of things this way (wood mounted stamps, inks, paints, etc.).  

The paper sorters are from Sams Club and if I remember correctly, were about $15 each and each has 12 slots/shelves.  The trays can be found at Micheals or AC Moore and are on sale with the rest of the picture frames quite often.  At 40% off, which happens often enough, they are only a couple of bucks each.

I hope you find some of this info helpful.  If you have any great storage tips, I'd love to know about them- please leave a comment.   Have a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So last night I went to Home Depot and got a package of the magnetic register covers that a nice, tall man got off the top shelf for me. Then I got some regular, clear CD storage cases at Target and went home put my 1st and only set of Nestabilities into it. I even made a label with the set # and name. I was SO proud of myself. I come by here this morning and go "blah"... You ARE the Martha of Organization, no doubt, Tara. I bow to your epertise. Thanks for giving me a "someday" goal.

Monika Reeck said...

Woow your collection is soo complete...love to see this...thanks for sharing....have a great day, Monika in Germany